Racagni Primary School has been LEED® Gold certified. It is a new construction with a modern and functional appearance. From the architectural point of view, materials chosen with respect to sustainability and the recovery of alternative natural energy sources were used: the building system is made of wood, marked by a high degree of insulation of the external envelope with particular reference to the walls, roof and floor.
Windows are designed to limit energy loss. As for plant technologies, there are gas absorption thermorefrigerator units, which produce hot and chilled water to serve the air conditioning of the rooms. More as well, there are central air handling units, which guarantee salubrity of air in the different in order to also benefit the activities of the small occupants.
The lighting system is designed with high-efficiency luminaires. In all areas, lighting is controlled by DALI. For non-regularly occupied areas of the school, lighting is controlled by occupancy sensors. Particular attention has been paid to acoustic design that is essential for the proper conduct of activities inside the classrooms: the approaches and strategies used to achieve these requirements have been set from the earliest stages of design, choosing component materials for exterior walls, partitions and ceilings with an excellent sound insulation.
1. Air handling units equipped with high-efficiency heat recovery
2. Minimal contribution of refrigerants to ozone layer depletion
3. Equipment with reduced potable water flow rate
4. Use of materials with high recycled content and regional sourcing
5. Use of low VOC content materials
6. LED luminaires
7. Use of renewable energy
8. Gas absorption thermo-coolers
9. Daylight contribution
10. Energy-efficient envelope
11. Acoustic comfort
Via Renzo Bocchi 33, 43100 Parma (PR)
Client: Municipality of Parma
Intended Use: Primary School
Period of construction: 2011 – 2012
Area: 6,415 sqm
U.S. Green Building Council* website:
* U.S. entity involved in the development of the LEED® certification protocol.