The project was designed to be a gathering space for the youth of the city of Rovereto. To raise awareness of sustainability, the City of Rovereto, owner of the building, decided to certify it using the LEED® protocol. It has been LEED® certified since January 2013 with LEED® Italy New Construction 2009 Silver level certification. It is a two-story above-ground building with an energy-efficient envelope and interior spaces that, considering its intended use, provide an excellent view of the outdoors, enhancing the occupants’ sense of comfort. Attention to the use of regional materials and certified wood has enabled its sustainability to be increased.
Building is located in a previously built-up area bordering a large green park with many amenities nearby. The project area is also well served by public transportation.
1. Control of lighting and thermal comfort systems
2. Pedestrian walkways with high reflectance index
3. Control of energy consumption through adoption of a measurement plan and verification
4. Sustainable management of construction site waste
5. Energy-efficient exterior envelope
6. Sustainable management of indoor air quality during the construction phase
7. Use of regional materials
8. Use of certified wood
9. Use of materials with a high recycled content
10. Indoor spaces with high benefit compared to outdoor views
Viale Trento 49, 38068 Rovereto
Client: Municipality of Rovereto
Intended Use: Multipurpose center
Period of construction: 2010 – 2012
Area: 2.230 mq
U.S. Green Building Council* website:
* U.S. entity involved in the development of the LEED® certification protocol.