Galleria Borghese was built in the early 17th century. In Galleria Borghese Museum are present collections of sculptures, bas-reliefs, ancient mosaics, paintings and sculptures from the 15th to the 19th century.
The project boundary for the GBC Historic Building® preassessment was the building footprint itself. No outdoor spaces (other than the terraces pertaining to the building) were included because they were not under the management of the client (Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism- Galleria Borghese).
The indoor area of about 5,800 m2, is divided on the upper floors into several exhibition rooms and an office area; in the basement floor, instead, entrance to the gallery, the cafeteria and the bookshop are present.
In the GBC HB® preassessment, the existing architectural structure along with the planned plant refurbishment work for the building including new air conditioning system, new voice and data electrical system, and the refurbishment of special systems was considered for credit and prerequisite verification.
The prerogative for historic building types is to propose solutions that are sustainable but at the same time well suited to the historic and valuable architectural features of the building, which cannot undergo any substantial modifications or adaptations.
1. High-efficiency HVAC systems
2. Advanced refrigerant management
3. Outdoor air flow rates according to UNI EN ISO 16798-1/UNI 17772
4. Sanitary equipment with reduced potable water flow rate
5. Ambient air monitoring
6. Monitoring of energy consumption
7. Recycling of construction waste
8. Use of low-emitting materials
9. Implementation of an indoor air quality management plan during the construction phase
10. Maintenance of existing elements of load-bearing structure
Piazzale Scipione Borghese 5, 00197 Roma
Client: italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism
Intended Use: Museum Gallery
Period of service implementation: 2019 – 2020
Area: 5.800 mq